I am home. This is how I know:
- So far I’ve only spoken to my father on the phone. Although there’s that added intimacy of local calling, I suppose.
- My grandfather told the story about how Catholic school gym class meant opening the window, standing up, and breathing deeply. And the nuns pulled him around by the hair behind his ear all the time. We know, grandpa.
- My sisters spent fifteen minutes composing the most expensive orders possible at the breakfast restaurant that we went to.
- My mother spent two hours holding five samples of wallpaper up to the dining room walls, and thinking.
- My Italian grandma called at 10pm to know if I wanted any waffles.